Sgrios Mass: Perish the Thought

My desk, the humble old thing, is expected to house a myriad of thoughts and activities. My aisling spark rarely lets me focus on a single project through completion and, as a result, I have the unrealistic expectation that my desk can house the same infinity of thought that I hold in my mind. Sadly this is not the case and I must, from time to time, purge my space of those ideas that are simply occupying valuable real estate. This time of reflection is a culling of sorts as I unfurl dusty scrolls with half-written masses, frantic scribblings of some thought that seemed to carry weight at the height of some sleepless night or the half dozen ideas for manuscripts I plan to submit to the college.

As such, our minds are graveyards of similar dead thoughts. Bygone memories of better days that have come to pass, hopes that have failed to coalesce before their potentiality expired, irredeemable philosophical ponderings that inevitably lead nowhere. In the seemingly infinite plain of our minds, there is a considerable swath dedicated to housing these inert hollow thoughts. I can remember days, not even altogether long past, when this hall was packed for every mass and aislings of all walks and faiths stayed afterwards to have heated theological discussions. Yet, what does that memory do for me now; I do not proselytize to that congregation anymore. Most of them have traveled on, or have let their bodies expire. There was once a philosopher, the identity alludes me -- perhaps he was a figment of a dream, or his name is on one of the many scrolls I discarded in my cleaning -- who claimed that the world would end in nostalgia; that we would reach a point in which we would not be able to take a single step without stopping to think fondly about the step that came before.

It might not feel as such, because it is often that our thoughts and dreams buoy us and keep us adrift on this grim sea we float about on, but housing so many dead thoughts turns our fertile realms of possibility into some potter’s field of has-been dreams and fruitless ponderings. Why should we occupy so much of our precious brainspace with these valueless endeavors? If we offer them to Sgrios and allow them to decay, you will find that these ideas grant you a fortified spark that is twice as capable of yielding brilliance. By letting go and allowing these empty thoughts to decompose and return to the soil, we are feeding our spark and bringing a greater fire to our passions.

Give in to the fear of abandoning your precious thoughts and put them in Sgrios’ capable fingers, for it is safer to entrust Him with your life’s work and let Him render it, in His infinite wisdom, into the clay with which you can mold your future. Mire yourself not in the temptation of the past, concern yourself not with the dead potential of abandoned thought, but give yourself to the transformative power of decay and, mark my words, your reward will be vast and unyielding. This is His will, and only those with the bravery to let Sgrios touch the core of their very soul will know this cleansing.

Now; free of the empty whispers of past triumphs or abandoned projects I trust you will find that, not only are you more capable of accomplishing your dreams of the future, and your trust in Sgrios has brought you to a new echelon of faith. Rest easy in His shadow and know that it is through this uneasy metamorphosis that our failures, faults and falsehoods are transformed into potential and promise. Give praise to He who washes away our shortcomings in the divine rot of progress. Walk with God and know His love; may shadows shelter you.

Comments